A week ago, a friend suddenly contacted me to help donate some baked goods as part of her office’s Typhoon Haiyan Phillipines fundraiser. I like baking so naturally, it’s a yes!
Summer time is approaching in New Zealand so I’ve opted to bake things that are fruity and refreshing – something light, in other words. At the same time I’ve been consciously avoiding baking anything too complicated (aiming for simple and deliscious in the last 6 months)
Ta-da! So here we have some Lemon Meringue Cupcakes, and Coconut & Passionfruit Slices.
As you can see I’m hopeless at cutting anything straight, but the slices are very yummy.
They are both good recipes and I’ve only had to make minor adjustments.
Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
- Make the Lemon Curd (the link can be found within the cupcake’s recipes) 1 day ahead. That means it’ll set properly and one less last-minute thing to do.
- Recipe says it makes 24 but it’s probably closer to 16-18. I was using muffin paper and a muffin pan so that’s probably why.
- Didn’t alter anything in the recipe, but definitely taste test everything, especially the Lemon Curd and the Cupcake batter to make sure you’re happy with how it taste. Adjust by using less lemon juice and then add more to get to your preferred taste.
- I borrowed the kitchen torch from a friend of mine and just bought a can of butane gas to fill torch back up before returning. Good way to save money!
- I had trouble with the piping (my own inexperience) – and I think I would have chosen a different tip instead. Might look nicer.
Coconut Passionfruit Slices
- Receipe calls for a 16x26cm pan – I don’t have it, so I had to bump up the recipe by a factor of 2.5. If you’re going to do something similar, then slightly reduce the temperature and just keep an eye out when the baking time is reached and adjust the time accordingly. I used a pyrex dish by the way.
- These slices are quite rich. They say use 100g caster sugar, I would say probably 50g is enough. Also cut those slices smaller – perhaps like little squares.
- Up that butter to 120 to 125g.
- Taste test the topping part before transferring to your baking dish. Adjust by adding more lemon juice, more passionfruit pulp, or condensed milk. Probably 80% of 1 can of condensed milk would be enough.