Well after last week’s massive effort with the Tri-Colored cake (my post here) – I have a lot of left over egg yolks from both the cake itself and also from the Swiss Meringue Buttercream (aka SMBC, used 9 eggwhites!).
What to do??
You can make many many things – aioli, pudding, creme brulee.
But I’ve chosen to make a sponge cake, only because I have most of the ingredients on hand only and can help me get rid of some jam too! Plus, I have a massive amount of 14 egg yolks to get rid of.
Here is the recipe: Lemony Butter Sponge Cake
The cake, I have to say, is VERY delicious despite it being so simple.
- Next time I’ll sift my flour twice.
- Sift the flour in batches into the egg yolk mixture.
- When I beat the egg yolks, I have been using ‘medium’ speed. That seems to work really well and I didn’t over beaten nor under beat the eggs.
- Cake(s) rose really well.
- I put Rasberry jam and freshly whipped cream in between all the layers.
- Cake dusted with icing sugar.
- I used extra virgin olive oil to oil my pan. Have read on other blogs that says should use shortening.
- Mommiecooks.com has done a post on the science of sponge cake!