Auckland Heart of the City Restaurant Month!
Our usual party of 5 has gone food hunting again, this time we went for the Restaurant Month – Cafe Hanoi!
Behind the red doors it lies a warm, welcoming place. No booking is taken for dinner, but you can book for the private function room or drop in a little earlier to ‘reserve’ a table. On the night we were there, there were a few large parties but the service was prompt and attentive.
We ordered three portion of the Restaurant Month set menu and “modern Vietnamese” dishes, which includes:
- Phở Ga – Traditional Vietnamese chicken noodle soup (Restaurant Month set)
Gỏi cuốn -Summer rolls of roasted pork, shrimp, fresh herbs & peanuts (Restaurant Month set)
- Nộm bò khô – Home-cured spicy dried beef salad w green papaya, sesame & crushed peanuts (Restaurant Month set)
- Bún chả – Hanoi-style grilled pork w nuoc cham, rice noodles & fragrant herbs (Restaurant Month set)
- Chả cá – Wok seared market fish marinated in turmeric, shrimp paste, ginger & galangal w round beans, peanuts & rice noodles (Restaurant Month set)
- Tiger prawn cutlets coated in young green rice w house chilli sauce
- Chicken thigh w kaffir lime, lemongrass, ginger & okra
- Roasted loligo squid stuffed w pork, wood ear mushrooms & glass noodles w a hot & sour tamarind sauce; and
- Pork spare ribs, twice cooked w five spice, ginger sesame & grilled lime
(yes, the Roasted loligo squid stuffed w pork and Gỏi cuốn -Summer rolls were so good we demolished them before any photos were taken.)
- Bánh trôi Tàu – a traditional warm Vietnamese dessert w sesame dumplings, peanuts & coconut (Restaurant Month set)
- Sago pudding in white chocolate & yoghurt cream w palm sugar caramel
- Mango mousse w fresh shredded coconut & candied green rice
- Hot soy milk doughnut w cinnamon sugar & caramel sauce
The mango mousse was so light and tasty we felt we could have one each!
Overall the meal was fantastic, service was great although it was a very busy night for the restaurant. Food were so good we all kept our heads down and ate them all in no time!